KEY SIGNS TO LOOK FOR IN YOUR CHILD/Teen –if you suspect that they are a victim of bullying:
- Mood swings unrelated to hormones;
- Loss of appetite;
- Loss of sleep;
- Increasingly disengages with family affairs;
- Fairly rapid weight loss or gain!!
- Decline in school grades;
- An increase in the need to be alone;
- Being irritated or angry easily;
- Begins to target siblings;
- Signs of self-harm!!
How YOU can help avoid your child/teenager from becoming a victim OR perpetrator of bullying!!
- Ask your child casually about things that go on in school, focus on anything that is negative and challenge this;
- Ask your child if they KNOW what bullying is?
- Have they witnessed any incidents of bullying?
- Ask your child if they feel nervous about returning to school…if yes…why?
- Notice anything your child/teen may say about school or returning to school that is negative;
- Take note of something they may say about other pupils;
- Talk about social media behaviour!!
| PARENTS/TEACHERS/GUIDANCE COUNSELORS….CRUCIAL to your relationship with your child/ren is continual:Communication, Respect for All & Trust = An open-solid relationship!!!
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
- Casually bring up the topic of bullying whether over dinner or watching tv etc;
- Ask/investigate what materials on anti-bullying are being delivered or available by the school;
- ASK your child what is the school doing??
- Speak to the school principle;
- Call helplines for more information or help if your child is being bullied and the school is not efficient in their response!!